Monday, December 31, 2012

Black Nativity



Seattle isn’t exactly known for the size of its black population.  Nonetheless, The Black Nativity is a long standing tradition in the city.  Embarrassingly, despite knowing of it for several years, I hadn’t gone to see it; until this year.


Performed at The Moore Theater, The Black Nativity is quite a show.  The first act reenacts the birth of Christ with song and dance with a top notch cast of performance artists.  In my humble opinion, the second act is where the show really shines.  The setting is your typical black church with a vocal and opinionated improvising choir.  The music ranged from gospel, to blues, to soul.  As an added treat, the performance I attended featured BeBe Winans, a gospel singer I grew up listening to.  Now having seen the show, I can proudly say that it is a wonderful Seattle tradition indeed.

Happy Holidays!